Thursday, March 28, 2013

Good-bye and Good Riddance to Hooker Chic

Am I dreaming? Are these really the 2013 runway fashions from notable designer Valentino? Is modesty making a comeback? Please tell me it's so!

Finally, it looks like we might say fare(not)well to the parade of hooker-chic attire that has been marketed to us women since the first peek-a-boo bras made their appearance on fashion runways in the early 90's.   We women who live in the "real" world never thought it would fly.  Fast forward a few years and while we are waiting for the bank teller to complete a transaction we are embarrassed at seeing her colorful bra underneath her lacy top or alone under her suit jacket.  What?!  I remember having to send home a bank teller I was training because she showed up at work with a skirt fully above her knees and fishnet stockings.  And we thought that was edgy.  Any cleavage showing was unacceptable and deemed highly unprofessional at that time.  Oh, how I miss those days.

I am so glad that I did not have to clothe daughters over the last ten years.  I truly pity my dear friends who wanted their girls to look fashionable and modest at the same time.  It was an exercise in fashion gymnastics avoiding the words splayed across the rear, or lingerie-esque tops for their ten year old.  And honestly, sleeves would be nice.  What was with all the spaghetti straps showing the bra straps underneath?  I think the low-point of hooker-chic was on full display during the half-time show for the 2013 NFL Superbowl with Beyonce's inappropriate show and attire--if it can be called that.  I was so thankful for Jackie Gingrich-Cushman's editorial which gave me a light at the end of the tunnel.  Do I see a little hint of Downton Abbey reflected in the calf-length dresses and overall gentility?

So maybe we're on the upswing. Maybe I will actually enjoy shopping for clothes again but it may take some time for these runway fashions to make it to mainstream America and eventually hit the clearance rack at Dillard's for me to ever be in vogue--or at least last-year's vogue--again.

4 comments:

  1. Sue Ann, I foresee a major shopping trip in my near future if what you say becomes reality! I've learned to "shop up" when the getting is good, before the dearth of buy-able clothes (and shoes) hits the market again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I am excited at the prospect. We had good pickin's in the late 80's and early 90's with the nouveau 40's look (shoulder pads, waistdresses and flaired skirts).
    I honestly haven't enjoyed shopping for clothes (hated it really) since the clothes followed the immodest way of our culture. I've held my weight so I can still wear my outdated togs just hoping for a renaissance of pretty clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter thinks we have Princess Kate to thank for this new trend...hopefully, it will be a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Sis! I do hope that this will come all the way down the pike. I am so saddened by these girls walking down the street dressed more immodestly than a prostitute would dress. They have no idea what they have given up and will never get what they really want. One of my favorite speeches on this is from the movie (and hopefully in the book :-)A Man Called Peter. Katherine Marshall gives this great talk to young women that should be printed and given out as a pamphlet. Love ya! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete