Friday, August 31, 2012

Government High School is not Cost-free

In working on my sons course descriptions for their transcripts, and making course choices, I thought I would glance at the course catalog from the high school I graduated from in NM.  I went to a large high school with a ton of great classes offered as alternatives to the typical fare.  I remember every summer when they would mail out the course catalog, how I enjoyed mapping out my course work and electives for the year based on my plans post-high school combined with whimsy.  I felt privileged to be able to choose classes like Calligraphy, Interior Design, Comprehensive Law, Journalism, Humanities and Political Theory.

What I was shocked to see is that many of these classes now have a fee assessed.  Many charged $20/year or higher.  So, if I had chosen the creative route today instead of, say, English 10 or Plain old Algebra 2 (some of those are still free) the course load would come with a hefty price tag for a "free" high school!
Even the Foreign Languages all charged fees and for sure all the Phys Ed electives like Aerobics, Weight Training, Yoga and Sports Medicine charged fees around $25.

Anyhow, I didn't know that "free" education wasn't "free" anymore.

Call me a mushroom for being in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment