Monday, May 28, 2012

Kitchen Project: Feeding the family


 The Temporary Kitchen.

The lack of an actual winter (read: ice, snow and blustery days) prevented my husband from having any actual down-time from his seasonal business.  Sunshine-y warm days had customers calling us off the hook to have their windows cleaned. God was blessing us with extra business the one time in our life when we could have used the peace and quiet to get this kitchen renovation underway.  So, it became apparent that this was going to be one long, drawn-out project.  I had no choice but to find a way to organize a mini-kitchenette in our dining room that would work for the long haul.  The coffeemaker was a necessity so it had center billing.  The crock pot was a lifesaver the first month, while I still had creative juices flowing.  By the middle of month 2, it was cereal and Little Caesar's with an occasional burst of Rotisserie chicken or Bad Bob's BBQ.






I chose a minimal number of dishes and some basic bowls and
saucepans that could carry us for this kitchen reno season.

It seemed to work.  I kept my spices in a small plastic basin and my pantry items like vinegars, olive oil, peanut butter and pastas in a large rubbermaid tub.  These are still sitting in my dining room.

The scary part of living like this is I can see how people that live a hoarding lifestyle can get by with clutter and chaos.  YIKES!
It became "easy" to "put things away" by tossing them into these bins, basins and boxes.






  My youngest son is preparing a gourmet meal of bagel bites or some such scrumptious offering from the frozen food aisle at the grocery store.  Never in my married life have I had a freezer full of boxed frozen foods.  My boys were in junk-food heaven.




Corn dogs, hot dogs, frozen chimichangas, HOT POCKETS for crying out loud.  We used to joke about Hot Pockets and they were becoming a staple food item. 





More healthy food choices:  bacon cooked
on our George Foreman grill on the patio.
What a blessing it was to have such mild
weather that we did so much cooking
outside.








OK, so someone may be wondering how we were keeping all those dishes clean.  Well, there are sacrifices to be made.



 One of my dear friends helped me see the upside to all this sacrifice and gave me some more creative ideas.

"But just think of all the HOT WATER you're saving!"

"If you add soap to the toilet tank, you could also cleanse your butt so much better after pooping and flushing!"

"Will the rinse aid in the toilet tank leave my butt shiny and free of water spots???"
But lastly she wanted me to remind her "never to eat 'salad, washed and ready to eat' at your house!"


I'm thankful for friends that keep me laughing hard and loud.

We are also so thankful for germ-a-phobes like her son who asked how that could possibly be sanitary.  How else would so much hand sanitizer get sold?  I told her to let him know that we take every precaution by doing unnecessary things like flushing the toilet before draining the dishes on it and I have strongly resisted the urge to multi-task by not peeing and washing at the same time even though the sink is so close. The best part of my system is that while the pile of large dirty dishes is waiting on the floor to be be washed, Chloe, our Schnauzer cross has full access to do the pre-wash by licking them. Shoot, some barely need to be washed after that.

It occurred to me that with all our camping excursions and the level to which our sanitary good senses descend to (while you are going potty at the bathhouse, will you wash out this pan?) what's a few weeks living like medieval peasants?

As I thought about it, the flush and rinse sounds like a great idea for all those drinking glasses that the family insists on using. I should let them know that I will be using that method on every glass used. However, they are welcome to just hang onto ONE cup and wash it themselves. Let's see if we can save a few flushes.

Stay tuned for more kitchen project stuff.  


No comments:

Post a Comment